California Institute of Technology Henry DeWitt Smith’s example of inspired leadership, professional success, personal integrity, and boundless dedication was his heritage to the mining industry which he served all of his adult life. In his memory, the Henry DeWitt Smith Fellowship was created by his wife Ellen Burke Smith.
Applications must be received on or before 1 June each year. Applications received on 2 June and after will not be considered.
To Apply complete online application.
Requirements for an Application
To be eligible, you must:
- Be pursuing a graduate degree (master’s or PhD) in petroleum engineering or a related field
- Be an SPE member
- Have another source of income (job, family support, other fellowships)
The requirements include:
- A completed online application
- Uploaded transcripts from all universities attended
- (2) uploaded letters of recommendation (one from a current university faculty member)
- An essay submitted online with application:
- If awarded this fellowship, what would you do with your education to make Henry DeWitt Smith delighted that you are the beneficiary?
Because US law prohibits provision of certain services to individuals residing in embargoed countries, not all applicants may be eligible to participate in the Henry DeWitt Smith Fellowship program. Please click here for more information.